Friday, February 5, 2016

Should, ought to, used to, would, might, could in indirect statement


Ought to and should : ought to/should for obligation or assumption remains unchanged:

Direct – Father said to me, “We ought to maintain peace in society.”
Indirect – Father told me that we ought to maintain peace in society.
Direct – Mother said to me, “You should obey your elders.”
Indirect – Mother told me that I should obey my elders.
Used to: used to doesn’t change:
Direct – He explained, “I know the place well because I used to live here.”
Indirect – He explained that he knew the place well because he used to live there.
Would: would in indirect speech doesn’t change:
Direct – He said to me, “I would be grateful if you help me.”
Indirect – He told me that he would be grateful if I helped him.
Might: might remains unchanged:
Direct – He said, “It might rain today.”
Indirect – He said that it might rain today. 
Could: could in indirect speech doesn’t change:
Direct – He said to me, “I could help the man.”
Indirect – He said to me that I could help the man.

0 comments: